Wednesday, May 12, 2010

MAN VS. TURKEY

Who's the real turkey?
Well everyone, here's my hunting tale: Up at 3:45, camo on, and dreaming of placing the bead of my shotgun on a longbeards neck. After about 5 hours in my blind the turkeys I was watching much of the morning from about ninety yards finally came my way. First was a young jake (he had maybe a 3 or 4 inch beard). Then four more came in very close (15 yards). A couple of birds (I think the gobblers) were hanging out cautiously about 50 yards away or more. They were the ones I really wanted. After about twenty minutes of pecking VERY close to my decoy and blind the 5 smaller birds started to head the other way. It seemed all of them would be gone in a few minutes. "Well maybe I should take one of these smaller beards...this is my last shot," I thought. So I picked out the bird with the longest beard, aimed, and........another bird walks in front of him..."Ok, CJ just wait...ready, (I threw out a cluck to make him stick out his neck)...now". Blam, blam...BLAM!!! "You've got to be kidding...did I just miss with all three shots?". Yup! I let 'em get too far out of range, and as I watched the whole lot of em scamper away, stop and stick their necks in the air and wonder, "what in the world was that" I thought while reloading, "maybe I should make a mad dash and blast one on the run." Well my better judgment kicked in and I decided to call it a day. I'll probably relocate tomorrow and see what happens. But a good start to my 28th birthday anyway...I did get to watch wild turkey from 15 yards and listen to music of nature...gobble, gobble! Happy hunting. So, who is the real turkey? Him, or the lowsy hunter?

1 comment: